This profile has been created for people, like you, working in the passenger´s transport sector, urban buses or inter-city.
As it is well known, both of them require different technologies regarding gearboxes, which means that urban buses make a lot of pit stops in short-hauls and so, many gear changes (increasing the necessity of comfort) while for long-haul distances, there are just a few stops and it si required to coordinate the best and the most efficient way for the road characteristics.
So, the gear boxes that you are normally using are:
- Coaches (mechanical or manual gear boxes): as it happens with the trucks these are known as a synchronized gearboxes. We can find them with diverse gears (long and short) and different speeds: 5, 6, 8, 9 and 16. They can come with or without Intarder (ZF) or Retarder (VOITH) to optimize the time of stopped, in that case, they will have installed a heat interchange. The most common brands are: ZF, Volvo, Scania and Mercedes. For these types of gear boxes, the main reasons why some strange components affect the ways they work are: oil levels, the clutch or the adjustment in the gearshift lever.
- Coaches (semiautomatic or automatized gear boxes) : these gear boxes work without the clutch pedal, working directly from an electronic device and a pneumatic unit in charge of giving the gear changing the order to the “actuators”, depending on the information received from the different sensors. The actuator, function as the foot and activates the clutch (the same as the one installed in a mechanical box) making possible to change the gears, or that have been programmed or the ones wished. They can also have Intarder or Retarder, together with its cooler. The main brands are ZF, Volvo, Scania and Mercedes.
- Buses (Automatic gear boxes): these gear boxes work with torque converter and “packets” of discs activated through the opening and closing of pistons triggered by the containing oil. This is the reason why the oil is for the gear box, what the blood is for the human body, because not only works as a lubricant for the different parts but it also protects them absorbing the energy produced by the contact pressure and the thermic energy produced by friction transforming the energy in the torque converter and the retarder integrated , it also have to have the necessary additives to preserve it from pollution and the loss of properties that might affect the capacity of pressure and loss of thermic energy. The same way the cooler has an important role in the gear box performance. These types of gear boxes require a keypad, a switchboard, a cooler and various sensors who can provide information and an electric installation capable of allowing communication between the electronic components of the bus. These ones are usually installed in gearboxes like ZF, VOITH and ALLISON.
A part from gear boxes, there are other important components that Autosur knows perfectly well, and these are:
- Transfer boxes or remand boxes (buses): these are the components in charge of moving the rotation and torque provided for the gearbox to the differential group, which can be at different height or direction in relation with the exit of the gearbox
- Axles (buses): they start in the differential group and they are in charge of, through this last one, taking the final movement to the wheels.
In Autosur de Levante, S.A. we have more than 30 years of experience repairing and solving problems in the passenger´s transport companies, like for example companies of city transport, small and big fleets, and a lot of different situations on the road or in the cities. We own a big stock of gearboxes, axles and remand boxes for you (ZF, Voith and Allison) and also excellent facilities where we can dismantle and assembly the components, in a safe and efficient way. Also mention that we have a big human team for the “Automatic” section, where we can offter you the best service with the best quality and personalized and professional treatment.
ASK AND DEMAND!
If you need or require advice about what type of gear box you must install in your vehicle, what´s the problem if it doesn’t work correctly, the cost or repair or even if you have any other question, please do not hesitate in contact us, and we will try to find the solution or give you the best recommendation possible.
Whatever is your bus/coach or your question, whenever you are and you find yourself in trouble, please call us, and we will find you the most trustworthy solution and adjusted to your needs. You know that join the leader is a good beginning.